Thursday, May 22, 2014

Getting inspired


I have been scrutinising my many photos, examining the multi-various patterns and translating my understanding into a series of simplified images for drawings and plates. Some of the plates are ready to print.

I don’t know much about rocks and maybe I should learn. My fascination is with the intricate and varied patterns that have formed over time. There are a myriad of sharply defined honeycomb patterns on outcrops and there are very subtle honeycombs where waves have worn away almost everything so that all that now remains is a slight, sand filled, indentation.



There are places with balls that protrude and others where they have disappeared to leave only a sand filled circle.



There are many broad and fine systems of ridged intersecting lines that flow and are interrupted and change endlessly as I walk along the shoreline. Some photos, where tilted very thin layers of rock have been eroded flat leaving lines that could well be roads, rives, fences and other features, look like an aerial view of a town.


There are of course many variations and combinations of these patterns in just a kilometre of shoreline so that the camera is constantly clicking and I am constantly reframing as I wander along. I never seem to feel that I have captured all of the diversity. Oh, well at least there is certainly more than enough material there to ignite the artistic fires.   

No comments:

Post a Comment