Monday, March 29, 2010

Biography

Born in Western Australia in 1952 of British migrant parents, Melbourne artist Sue Top trained first as a Town Planner.

“ I worked for 26 years as a Strategic Planner, but as my family grew up, satisfaction with the profession diminished and I dreamt of a time when I could indulge myself in making art instead. Art had always been my favourite subject at school but it did not strike me as a very sensible career move when, at the age of 18, I had to choose a career path. I therefore opted to be a Planner instead, studying at Melbourne University.  I did continue to paint and draw as a hobby in the intervening years, though opportunities were limited when my family was young. It was not until 2002 and my youngest son entered University that I was able to hang up my "plans" and return to art full time. I started by undertaking a Diploma of Visual Arts during 2002 and 2003, plus 2 extra units of study to provide me with an additional minor (Printmaking) in 2004. Then, keen to develop my practise immediately and to evolve my subject and style through experience and experimentation unfettered, I opted to begin work from my own studio rather than complete any more study. 

Since 2005 I have been establishing myself as an artist, working from a home studio and printing at the Firestation Print Studio in Armadale (Melbourne). As I like variety I paint, draw and also print, exhibiting my work regularly (see CV). 

While both media and style have evolved over time, my work continues to be inspired by detail in the natural world, taking a specific aspect of nature to explore in detail for each separate body of work."

No comments:

Post a Comment